Need Help with Weatherproof Recording!

Subject: Need Help with Weatherproof Recording!
From: "nbioacoustics" nbioacoustics
Date: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:13 am ((PDT))
Hi there,

I'm trying to put together a relatively inexpensive, weather proof
recording system to set up on the North Slope of Alaska to record bird
vocalizations (in stereo) during the spring/summer.  This i for
scientfic research.  The weather there can be kind of sketchy, with
rain or snow and/or wind on any given day.  I need to be able to leave
the equipment out and not worry about it.

So, what I'm trying to find is EITHER:

(1) An all weather recorder with built in mics. (something like the
Zoom H2 for example, but this is not weatherproof), or

(2) A pair of weather proof mics that I can piggy back on one another,
or, a pair of piggy-backed mics with an all-weather enclosure.  I
could then hook this stuff up to a recorder protected in a pelican
case or something.

I'm going to need 3 or 4 of these recording systems, so they can't
cost a whole lot.  Say around $600 for each.

Any one have suggestions?

Thanks,
Natalie :)