Re: Machine Gun microphone

Subject: Re: Machine Gun microphone
From: "Greg Clark" greg_in_az
Date: Fri Sep 7, 2007 11:10 am ((PDT))
Well I guess I will weigh in on this topic. I built one of these in 1957
because shotgun mics and parabolas were not available at affordable prices
for my project. I was 10 yrs old at the time. I wanted to detect human
voices, not birds. I think it works pretty well for voice stuff and my
understanding is that in the 1950's, when I built one, this was one of the
few ways to go for mechanical amplification. I don't know when modern
shotgun mics were invented, but they would have been pretty pricy back then=
.
Getting a parabola during the same era would also have been expensive, if
you could find one at all. Parabolas were certainly around back then, but i=
it cost a few hundred dollars that was a fortune. A good car cost a few
hundred dollars. Today, there is no advantage for natural sound recording
because flat frequency response shotgun microphones allow quiet electronic
gain to be applied to the signal. A parabola has all kinds of non-linearity
compared to the microphone, but is considered a wonderful tool nevertheless=
.
The tube amplification will produce a whole series of holes in the frequenc=
response and will probably produce something so non-linear that the defects
could not be removed without a lot of work. I think this technology would b=
good to use as a historical comparison technology to show how far we have
come in the last 50 years and it would be interesting physics project for
the public to see in a sound museum. But for real recordings, its day has
passed.

Greg Clark