Machine Gun microphone

Subject: Machine Gun microphone
From: "Michael Oates" msohooates
Date: Thu Sep 6, 2007 10:59 pm ((PDT))
Has anyone every made and used a machine gun microphone. There is not
much about these on the internet, but I have found this:
http://www.reject.org/tsd/liz/gbppr/mil/mic/ShotGunMike.pdf

I am concidering making one using 90 tubes of 8mm diameter aluminium
tube with lengths from 1m down to 9mm. (That is two more rings of
tubes than shown on the example making it 88mm diameter instead of
67mm) I was thinking of fitting a Rode NT1A as the condenser mic. But
I really want to know if anyone has tried such a beast. Based on the
length of tubes I would use, it should work from about 150Hz to 20kHz
range and appears to be very directional.

My idea of using more tubes that in the example it to fill in the
gaps in the frequency range, but I don't know if that's needed.

Cost would be about =A3120 for the tubes plus a bit more for for
fitting some windshield around it with fake fur on a wire frame
former covering the full length.

Thanks,

Mike

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: