Sony Hi MD, H4, Edirol or FR2-LE ?

Subject: Sony Hi MD, H4, Edirol or FR2-LE ?
From: "paulmcnelis" paulmcnelis
Date: Thu Sep 6, 2007 8:42 pm ((PDT))
Howdy!

Decisions, decision.

So I've narrowed my mic decision somewhat: I'm wanting to record in
stereo and mainly ambience recordings - sit at a pond/ocean/stream
and record what's going on in stereo.

Given that, what recorder would suit my needs? They all are around
$300-$500 so the price isn't the issue.

Features, ease of use, LCD, button size, storage, none of that is
really a concern either, as long as I can record in WAV and of course
Message: 44.
Subject: 1k and 24bit or greater.

So my first question is - which one do most people use/prefer? I know
the FR2-LE is new. I can find some new/used Sony Hi MD's, but not
sure which model is more preferrable.

My next questions are:
- Does one have a better preamp than another, or, does one require
the purchase of a 3rd partypreamp?
- How would you grade the internal/handling/self noise of recorder?
- Will the WL 183's work easily with these recorders?

I'm not sure what else to ask any additional advice would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul