Re: Tamiya battery warning !

Subject: Re: Tamiya battery warning !
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:58 am ((PDT))
On 29/08/2007, at 4:02 PM, LinPlug Team wrote:

> Things like this can happen, it was in the press for a while that
> batteries
> for mobile phones were doing exactly the same and worse. It 95%
> happens with
> cheap batteries, so make always sure to get a brand name (I know
> they all
> have a "brand" name, I mean a serious supplier, Sanyo, Varta etc).
>

> Anyway, just keep the battery outside any device while its hot. Its
> also a
> good idea to place batteries on a fire resistant surface while
>
> Actually there is nothing wrong with Tamiya batteries, and we
> definitely
> should not associate the name Tamiya with a potential problem here.
>
> As I said, just picking a quality battery and a quality loader
> usually prevents you from having trouble.

"Tamiya" in this sense is a generic description on a type of
connector originally used on Tamiya Radio Control electric cars and
now a standard on power packs for that application regardless of
manufacturer or battery type.

I'd second the recommendation for Sanyo cells if you are using NiMH
or NiCAD especially if you can get hold of their industrial grade
cells. They are very reliable as a rule and usually exceed their
rated capacity, in contrast to cheap cells which tend to massively
overstate their capacity.

cheers
Paul