Re: Tamiya battery warning !

Subject: Re: Tamiya battery warning !
From: "LinPlug Team" peterlinsener
Date: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:04 pm ((PDT))
Hi,

> Via Jim Yale on the Fostex forum I just picked up this link to the SOS
> forum, warning about a "Tamiya" battery that began to burn INSIDE an FR-
> 2LE whilst switched off (Jings !):

Things like this can happen, it was in the press for a while that batteries
for mobile phones were doing exactly the same and worse. It 95% happens wit=
cheap batteries, so make always sure to get a brand name (I know they all
have a "brand" name, I mean a serious supplier, Sanyo, Varta etc).

> But its maybe as well to
> check if the battery has got hot before installing it.

Exactly. However, cells can get quite hot in "normal" even in case, it take=
some time to spot the weak and probably faulty cells. I've a massive amount=

of batteries here (about 50) and over a longer period I've been able to tel=
a weak cell from just the temperature it gets upon loading.

Anyway, just keep the battery outside any device while its hot. Its also a=

good idea to place batteries on a fire resistant surface while loading.

Actually there is nothing wrong with Tamiya batteries, and we definitely
should not associate the name Tamiya with a potential problem here.

As I said, just picking a quality battery and a quality loader
usually prevents you from having trouble.