3. Re: Movie soundscapes

Subject: 3. Re: Movie soundscapes
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Tue Aug 7, 2007 7:36 am ((PDT))
No, I do agree with you on this point. My only point is that the
sound editors themselves are often not fully to blame. A lot of them,
if they had the time or resources, would probably try harder to do it
right. And I know how much you've contributed just to Skywalker, my
home for the last 8 years, so I know how easy it can be to find the
right stuff. But often nowadays there will be no money in the budget
for any sound effects acquisition, either to go and collect them or
to 'rent' them from people who have them. I spent thousand of dollars
out of my own pocket on the movies I've done recording things that I
want. Very occasionally I get some money back from the budget, most
times not.

And I try my best for accuracy when I can, but have certainly been
guilty of sneaking in a sound that is 'emotionally' correct over on
that is geographically correct, but doesn't fit the emotion of the
scene.

I do think in the larger sense, especially about a project so
centralized to a specific location with a very discernible sound, I
certainly would have tracked down you or Doug Quinn or someone who
has been there and has a library of FX from there, and spent some
money to that end. But also, a few times I've tried to 'rent' sound
effects from some people out there, the prices they were asking were
completely out of line with the reality of a film sound budget. They
see 'hollywood' and see dollar signs. So sometimes there is just no
money, and not many people are willing to give their FX away for free
(nor should they). I once wanted to record some old turn of the
century arcade games for a movie. I found someone who had them. He
was willing to let me record them (and I actually needed about 1
minute of them in the film) for $20,000 and a credit in the film. Um,
sure.

But I've also found lots of people willing to help just to help. And
there are some nice growing resources like www.snapsound.com that if
they catch on, will make tracking down geographically correct sound a
bit easier.

Carroll Ballard's insistence on real sound is admirable, and as you
note, rare. I remember when they were prepping Duma and they were
scouting for someone to go for a couple of weeks down to Africa to
record those FX. And I've tried on several films to get them to
include some money from the beginning to send someone to a location
for recording. It's been vetoed from the budget every time.

I agree that it is very sad, and it certainly extends way beyond
sound effects.  There are very few directors left period who honestly
truly seem to 'give a damn' about much of it at all. I've never met a
producer who did.

Sigh. Now I'm depressed.