2. Re: Movie soundscapes

Subject: 2. Re: Movie soundscapes
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Tue Aug 7, 2007 7:01 am ((PDT))
Mostly laziness, Tim. And profound cynicism (like you say "99%'ll
never know the difference..." so why try to make
a difference with our work, right?) I've been working in film
(writing and ghosting scores and providing EFX since 1963)
having contributed to over 135 features (on the order of Apocalypse
Now, Rosemary's Baby, Shipping News,
Castaway, etc etc etc) and have rarely found directors who had the
willingness or intellectual curiosity to actually chase down the
right ambient material. There are a couple of majors =96 the late Robt
Altman, and Carroll Ballard (Never Cry
Wolf, Fly Away Home, Duma) =96 and a few lesser directors. But mostly
you get the "Aw hell, they'll never know
the difference, anyway" routine. Those aren't the kinds of footprints
I want to leave on my art when I'm gone. Fact is, people DO
know the difference. And care.

Within this group there are all kinds of great resources from all
kinds of great places. Most of these folks are a
phone call or email away. It takes that much time.

Bernie