Re: Mic experts unite!

Subject: Re: Mic experts unite!
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Fri Aug 3, 2007 11:26 am ((PDT))
<<What happens when mics don't perform well in humidity?>>

The diaphragm arcs to the backplate. This is an issue with true
condenser designs. Electret condensers & other mic types do not have
a problem with humidity.

<<I will be taking the AT 3032s to a humid environment in three
weeks. If they don't do well
down there, what will I notice?>>

A fairly constant popping, every few seconds or more.

<<stop working completely?>>

No, you will have good audio in between pops.

<<click?>>

I call it a pop since I hear a good deal of low frequency content in
there, but it is a short duration spike.

<<fungus growth?>>

Not too likely.

<<How will I know they are not working right?>>

You'll hear & see the pops right away or not at all. If the AT is a
true condenser it is susceptible to humidity issues. If it's an
electret condenser it quite likely will be just fine. I know from
experience the AudioTechnica AT825, an electret, stands up well to
the humidity of coastal rain forests in Costa Rica while the AKG
C451E, a true condenser, does not.

Scott Fraser