Re: Cardioid Vs. Omni for use in Parabolic mic setup...

Subject: Re: Cardioid Vs. Omni for use in Parabolic mic setup...
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Mon Jul 2, 2007 4:45 pm ((PDT))
There's also an issue with the complex "comb filtering" created by
reflections inside the dish which seems to be less with cardioids than
omnis. If the focus/microphone is inside the edge of the paraboloid,
much of the (higher Hz) lateral noise is excluded by the dish itself,
even using an omni.

I don't know about the self noise of the AT3031 (is it as good as
reported for the 3032 omni?). But in the under $200 range I would
suspect the trade off between omni/cardioid and cost/self noise of the
mic would be pretty close.

I now know several people who swear that expensive cardioids are better
in parabolas than (affordable) omnis, and others who make fantastic
(envy producing) recordings with affordable/mid-priced omnis.

The problems with wind are significantly reduced with omnis and that
would decide the question for me.

Cheers!

Steve P