Re: Cardioid Vs. Omni for use in Parabolic mic setup...

Subject: Re: Cardioid Vs. Omni for use in Parabolic mic setup...
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Tue Jul 3, 2007 8:38 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Steve Pelikan"

> There's also an issue with the complex "comb filtering" created by
> reflections inside the dish which seems to be less with cardioids than
> omnis. If the focus/microphone is inside the edge of the paraboloid,
> much of the (higher Hz) lateral noise is excluded by the dish itself,
> even using an omni.

Actually it's not inside the dish, it's a standing wave created in front
of the dish by the interactions of the reflections and the incoming
sound. This occurs at a low enough frequency that it's often mistaken
for a frequency cutoff of parabolas (which really does not exist). Ideal
would be a focus that's 1/4 of the dish depth, a arrangement that's not
generally considered all that practical (and would probably require a
omni). Definitely you want your focus point inside the dish to avoid the
standing wave as much as possible.

> I now know several people who swear that expensive cardioids are better
> in parabolas than (affordable) omnis, and others who make fantastic
> (envy producing) recordings with affordable/mid-priced omnis.

If you believe in what you are using you probably do a better job of
technique. The key is as much technique as design.

Note the Telinga Stereo mic is a multicapsule boundary mic design.
Different from either a cardioid or omni...

> The problems with wind are significantly reduced with omnis and that
> would decide the question for me.

Parabolas in and of themselves reduce wind problems.