Re: External battery pack for Sony MZ RH1 MiniDisc?

Subject: Re: External battery pack for Sony MZ RH1 MiniDisc?
From: "jpbeale" jpbeale
Date: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:20 am ((PDT))
> At 7:40 AM +0000 6/12/07, Adam Welz wrote:
> Has anyone figured out which of the commercially-available external
> AA battery packs (USB) work reliably with the Sony MZ RH1?

My MZ-RH1 works and charges fine with the Sony supplied AC adaptor
AC-S508U. However, it does NOT work with a $20 USB battery pack (a
4-AA pack I just got from Ebay: "Mobiledriven USB Battery Extender AA
MD9020-0010". http://www.mobiledriven.com/usbbaexaaba.html

This pack has a green LED which comes on, and I checked with a
voltmeter and it is providing +5.25 V which seems OK and I believe
within the USB spec. The pack spins up an external USB laptop hard
drive, but the RH1 pretends it isn't there at all.

I would not rely on reports about earlier HiMD units that had a
coaxial-type external power jack (not just USB power). I suspect those
may be more forgiving of power supply types.