Re: Recording a heartbeat?

Subject: Re: Recording a heartbeat?
From: "Ed Anson" ed_anson
Date: Sat Jun 9, 2007 1:54 pm ((PDT))
Heather,

I once recorded my own heartbeat by just pressing a good condenser mic
against my chest. It was a reasonable (but not great) recording. The
biggest difficulties were ambient noise and handling noise. In
particular, it was difficult to hold the mic in place without creating
a lot of noise due to rubbing between the mic, my hands and my chest. I
controlled ambient noise by recording in the middle of the night, and I
controlled handling noise by being very careful.

If I wanted to put more effort into it, I would fashion a sort of
stethoscope by cutting a hole in the bottom of a plastic cup just big
enough for the mic to go through. Perhaps I would also wrap the cup/mic
assembly with a towel or something to mitigate noise.

Ed

P.S. Just another thought: I wouldn't be greatly surprised if the
cardiologist also has means to record the sound.