Re: EQ recordings with parabola

Subject: Re: EQ recordings with parabola
From: "stoatwizard" stoatwizard
Date: Mon Jun 4, 2007 10:44 am ((PDT))
> Hi! Can you put that in other words? I don't understand.

Hi Klas,

In that trip things were generally a bit closer than is usually
possible in England. The Telinga/DATmic has a tendency to tonal
brightness and on this trip I could have wished for a bit less of that
there. It was a recording trip - the up at 3:30 and on site at 4:00
sort of routine for about 10 days so things tended to sound harsh from
being tired too ;) Great fun though - I'd do it again anytime and got
quite a lot of stuff that I'm still working through.

I've put up a comparison on

http://www.suffolkbirds.co.uk/article/75/eq-ing-a-parabolic-dish-v-
regular-mics

where I've tried to use the frequency response you shared with us to
take this out. Though it does address the tonal brightness, and indeed
the measurement shows a frequency response close to the MKH30/40 that I
recorded the same subject from at the same location a few minutes later
I would not judge the result a success as it seems now to lack clarity.

That is of course, not the primary way the Telinga is designed to be
used so it shouldn't be seen as a criticism of the device. I love the
lightness and the transportability, and it gets you things you can't
get any other way, like the scops owl listed on that page which was
from about half a mile, picked out from a bunch of nearby crickets.
Indeed on the trip the dish showed its portability - I was able to get
all my gear into one rollable sports bag to check in and a rucksack for
the mics and recorders and it is light. However, I do wonder as to the
neutrality of the DATmic - on one part of that trip I didn't get a
clear idea of the situation and was recording a bunch of red-footed
falcons wheeling about their nest sites in some poplars. There I took
the DATmic out of the dish, inverted the dish and stuck it backwards
pointing up, using it as a open mic and the dish as a stand. I had
thought this was a focus on the nest from 100yards sort of thing, not
what turned out to be a soundscape. I did miss my MKH30/40 there, as
the DATmic seemed to lack clarity, which set me thinking that since I
have these I might as well try them in the Telinga dish if I can see a
way to mount them.