Re: Spring in Ithaca, part 1

Subject: Re: Spring in Ithaca, part 1
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sat Jun 2, 2007 11:02 am ((PDT))
<<Post-processing:
- High-frequency rolloff beginning at about 12Khz to dampen the effect
of some unwanted high frequency noise due to overzealous trim settings,
mic self noise, and/or inexperience. The mp3 compression used to post
the recordings rolls off some of the highs anyway, but the noise was
distracting in the raw files. Any comment on the correctness of
post-filtering is welcome.>>

Electronic noise is broadband & not really centered anywhere in the
spectrum, but if you sweep a narrow boost through the mid to high
range I think you'll find our perceptions much more attuned to a
lower range of noise awareness. I find a very broad cut of several
octaves width by just a few db depth around 6.3kHz much more
effective at knocking down noise than anything as high as 12k.
Obviously you have to be very careful with any filters, as you're
cutting some desirable material as well as the undesired noise.

Scott Fraser