Re: An unusual and straightforward public request...

Subject: Re: An unusual and straightforward public request...
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Thu May 31, 2007 12:26 am ((PDT))
 wrote:

>Like I said, I don't have them yet, but I would hate to damage
>something when I have dropped hundreds on the gear. I have a regular
>mountain bike, so I figured I would either put them in my handlebar bag
>(with my camera) or on the top=C2 of my panniers (also easy to get at). I
>thought of making a custom padded "stuff sack" with draw string for the
>gear, just in case.=C2 I'm handy in making stuff, sounds like you are as
>well. I would love to see pics of your custom made panniers.

A mountain bike is also my "standard" vehicle when I get into nature.

In my experience, the equipment is more protected against mechanical
shock and vibration when you carry it always in your backpack while
riding the bike. Your legs and your body will act as a very efficient
shock absorber. This is of course only convenient when the gear is not
too heavy. To protect the gear against rain, I use a special backpack
with an optional rain cover.

Regards,
Raimund