Re: An unusual and straightforward public request...

Subject: Re: An unusual and straightforward public request...
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Wed May 30, 2007 3:29 pm ((PDT))
Posted by: ""

> Well, all your toads are great, as is the Bird voiced treefrog."

Bird voiced treefrogs are the "stun guns" of frogs around here. They
call at ear height and are not shy about calling with that ear only
inches from them when they let loose with their very loud calls.

They are also one of my favorite frogs.

> I look forward to the day when I can carry my own equipment with me when =
I go backpacking and bicycle touring. Actually, not sure about the bicycle =
touring with equipment yet... I think it may be a bit rough for the electro=
nics. Which leads me to a question.

> We already discussed some of the backpacking solutions, I am assuming tha=
t anyone who carries there recording equipment on a backpacking trip will a=
pply to bicycle touring as well. Just more padding possibly. I plan on carr=
ying a Sony MZ RH1 with Shure WL183's (when I get them, don't have them yet=
) I killed a camera during a tour, possibly from the jarring but thats only=
 speculation. That's why I would be hesitant to carry my recording gear on =
a bike tour. Where as on a backpacking trip, one has more "control" over th=
ere belongings.

> Anyone in the group out there bicycle tour and carry there gear with them=
? If so, what do you do to protect your gear?

I bicycle tour, my preferred use of a bicycle. Actually my current ride
is a recumbent tadpole trike, a very capable touring machine...

I've always taken camera gear along. I build my own panniers and such
like, so have generally designed specific carrying solutions for the
camera. More a case of ready accessibility than any problem of protection.

I don't anticipate it would take much to protect a walkman MD or the
Shure WL183's on a bike tour. Both are not particularly delicate and are
small.

For me my big problem with sound recording while touring is that the
frogs call at night. Imagine wandering through the night on a recumbent
trike recording frogs. Imagine making that fit touring. I've been
kicking it around, but have yet to come up with a good solution.
Carrying the gear is really not the problem. How you build a bike tour
done mostly at night and generally using the poorest of roads is the
problem.

With the price of gas on it's way up and up, it's not a academic
question. Fuel costs are cutting into my ability to travel to record. So
I have been considering getting something tiny in a recorder and working
toward some high quality mic options for this.

People are startled enough to encounter me at the road shoulder pointing
a Telinga at something. Think about a recumbent trike with a telinga
mounted....