Re: Greater Prairie Chicken LEK

Subject: Re: Greater Prairie Chicken LEK
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Wed May 30, 2007 7:41 am ((PDT))
towards the end of the recording, they *really* get excited. But what
is that sound at 1:57?! It doesn't seem to fit in.<<<<<<<<

Hahahaha so you are not really familiar with their call? This is the boomin=
call the male makes at a low frequency produced by the syrinx and amplified
by the air sack of the male.. The sounds (and I have over 2 hours) become
very intense and much more of these base notes become apparent. They are a
great test for microphones. I am told the male utters these vocalizations a=
a rate of 10.2 displays/Minute.

Martyn

Martyn Stewart

Bird and Animal Sounds Digitally Recorded at:

http://www.naturesound.org

Redmond. Washington. USA

N47.65543 W121.98428

e-mail: