Various soundscapes because they all asked

Subject: Various soundscapes because they all asked
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Tue May 29, 2007 11:34 pm ((PDT))
Coming back to a wealth of discussion, I've skimmed over the bulk of
it, but I did pick up the request for examples of recent recordings...

With that in mind thought I would mention that I posted seven
one-minute excerpts of my own recordings from the residency I just
returned from on my site, on my 'one-minute vacation' page, which was
on hiatus in my absence:

  http://oneminutevacation.org

They were all made in Nodar, the small town I was in in a rural valley
in northern Portugal -- which despite its status as rural rather than
wild (and almost total absence of what could be considered true
forest) was remarkably quiet (and lovely).

Of mild interest to some may be that the majority of them were made
with my "new" recording rig, a pair of Sennheiser MKH-800s and a Sound
Devices 722, which I'm still getting my head around. The recordings
you can hear on the site were made in imperfectly coincident Blumlein
(side-by-side mics in a Windpac, rather than end-to-end in my
work-in-progress frankenblimp).

In a nutshell I'd say the 800s are awesome in their "reach" and
clarity and low self-noise, but I have work to do to find the right
portable windscreen and mounting for them; they were  effectively
unusable on the K-tek boom I brought for being so sensitive...
tightening my grip on the boom was clearly audible as rumble. Grumble.
Btw the thunder recording suffers as a result of this; I had the mics'
and SD's high pass filters engaged, so the bottom of the thunder is
lost...

In a day or two I'll link pix for those tracks and hopefully get the
podcast version out!

 best,
  aaron

--