Geo's Report Re Popping Noise. Clock synchronization!

Subject: Geo's Report Re Popping Noise. Clock synchronization!
From: "geopaul7" geopaul7
Date: Sat May 26, 2007 5:47 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Scott Fraser <> wr=
ote:

> It most likely did. There's an easy fix which will insure it doesn't
> happen again. Set the clock source in the DAW you recorded into to
> SPDIF. It may be a control panel which resets the M-Audio interface,
> or it may be an option in your recording software. The DAT machine
> has to be the word clock master source, & the DAW has to sync to the
> data stream coming in from the DAT. Getting this set right will give
> you clean click-free transfers. Having it set wrong will guarantee
> digital errors. These clicks are being caused by two 44.1k machines
> running at almost identical speed, but not synchronized. As they
> drift out of alignment you get a click.
>
> Scott Fraser

  Thank you Scott:  I have determined that the popping problem, that John H=
artog fixed by
editing, and you diagnosed, was indeed caused by some sort of digital clock=
 foul up.

I originally transfered my DAT tape 16 bit files to my Logic Pro 7 Editor i=
n 24 bit, 96K
sampling.  They had originally been recorded at 44.1K.  Popping.  Pop.  Pop=
.

I redid things this morning, this time transfering the same 16 bit/44.1K ta=
pe in 24 bit,
Message: 44.
Subject: 1K, with the synchronization function set to "auto enable external
sync.=
"

This time I got no popping at all, after transferring an hour of recordings=
.

The occasional popping was not on my recordings on the DAT tape!  They are =
fine.  It was
on my hard drive. It was caused by some sort of syncing problem it seems. =

Perhaps only "dufusses" like me go between 44.1 K and 96 K.    I thought if=
 you could take
a 16 bit recording and edit it in 24 bit,  you could take a 44.1K recording=
 and edit it at
Message: 96K.
Subject: Perhaps that makes no sense.  Do others do that?

In any event it is nice to have the real recordings, not the messed up reco=
rdings.

George Paul