Backpacking Solutions: Popping Noise. Wordclock? Digital Signal?

Subject: Backpacking Solutions: Popping Noise. Wordclock? Digital Signal?
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sat May 26, 2007 1:28 pm ((PDT))
<<Perhaps I bungled it. I have recently changed how I get the sound
from the DAT tape into
the editor. In this instance, I did do a real time play back of a 16
bit, 44.1 K recording,
and transferred it from my ancient Sony DAT via Sony proprietary
SPDIF digital cable,
which went via a co-axial plug into an M audio device that
transferred digital signal into
an optical cable, which then ran into my MAC G5 via optical TOSLINK.
I then resampled the signal at 24 bit and 96K, to dump it into the
editor.
Could this have botched things up?>>

It most likely did. There's an easy fix which will insure it doesn't
happen again. Set the clock source in the DAW you recorded into to
SPDIF. It may be a control panel which resets the M-Audio interface,
or it may be an option in your recording software. The DAT machine
has to be the word clock master source, & the DAW has to sync to the
data stream coming in from the DAT. Getting this set right will give
you clean click-free transfers. Having it set wrong will guarantee
digital errors. These clicks are being caused by two 44.1k machines
running at almost identical speed, but not synchronized. As they
drift out of alignment you get a click.

Scott Fraser