Re: BRAVO: A vee of geese break the dawn, waken coyotes.

Subject: Re: BRAVO: A vee of geese break the dawn, waken coyotes.
From: "Chris Hails" chrishails50
Date: Sat May 26, 2007 11:42 am ((PDT))
--- In  "Brian Dasilva"
<> wrote:

> The name of the group is Naturerecordists, Not Naturerecordings.
The aim is to discuss the mechanics of what it takes to produce the
recordings. The gear... the technique... field info...
identifcation..  The recordings you can hear from here are just icing
on the cake. We should have a clearing house where we could upload
recordings for the members that want just that.  Never loose sight of
the fact that without gear... there is no recordings.

Actually the purpose on the home page says:

"This moderated group is interested in techniques, issues and general
discussion of recording natural sounds......recording techniques and
equipment, recording venues and discussions of various animal
vocalizations and communication. Other natural sounds, such as water,
weather and wind-generated sounds are valid...... etc"

...And for me I enjoy it all. Over the past year I have learned
enormously about gear from members of this group - BUT it is
capturing nature that counts for me, and sound postings are VERY
important - Martyn Stewart's Alaska, Bernie Krause's wolves, John
Hartog's geese, and the four postings yesterday from Curt Olsen are,
quite honestly, inspirational - if one day I can do half as well I'll
be happy. I need to know and understand the gear to use, but it is
the means to an end, and its the end that counts most. I fully
subscribe to George Paul's 5 hypotheses, with Oryoki's additional
6th: electronic wizardry is great, but it all starts with being in
the right place at the right time, and we need to learn it all.

Chris