Re: Puerto Rico recording sites

Subject: Re: Puerto Rico recording sites
From: "wildlifeanalysis" wildlifeanalysis
Date: Fri May 25, 2007 8:26 am ((PDT))
Hi Tony

Not sure what sorts of ambience you are looking to record, but the
place that I recorded was on the South side of El Yunque national
forest. The North side of the park is absolutely *flooded* with
tourists so recording during the daytime is impossible unless you get
there very very early, or hike way out and camp in the wilderness
somewhere. Basically, any of the trails there are going to be heavily
traveled.

Alternatively, the South side (around highway 3) is basically
neighborhoods. Highway 191 from the South (off 3) is closed after
about 4 or so miles and heads into the park. Your best bet for good
recording would be to hike a few miles up 191 in early morning or
evening. Its lovely,  but bring rain gear as it rains there
frequently and erratically. Also there is an effort to repave part of
it, so you will be walking past alot of construction.

Your biggest challenge in Puerto Rico will be getting away from human
noises. People are everywhere and sound carries for miles up the
mountains. Alot of people keep chickens and roosters which are noisy
as all get out. Motor cycles and booming stereos are also popular.
Maybe this is the sort of ambience you are looking for?

There are actually tons of different environments in Puerto Rico. If
you have time, its well worth exploring. The mountain range in the
middle of the island, while not a rainforest, is equally as beautiful
and filled to the brim with coqui (of several species apparently).

Best
David

--- In  Antonio Celis
<> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning a short trip to Puerto Rico. I'm wondering if somebody
from this
> group is from Puerto Rico, or if somebody can give suggestions of
where to
> record ambience there.
>
> You suggestions will be appreciated
>
> Saludos
> Tony Celis
>

> --- wildlifeanalysis <david
>
> > escribi=F3:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I am headed up to Ithacure to visit some friends this weekend and
> > record some frogs and toads. They tell me the peepers are out and
I see