Advice for "Amateurs": Good $300-400 Digital Recorder and A good ste

Subject: Advice for "Amateurs": Good $300-400 Digital Recorder and A good ste
From: "losangelesprofessor" losangelesprofessor
Date: Thu May 17, 2007 7:14 am ((PDT))
I need some advice, and there is so much material in the archive I
need some "summary" opinion. I use fairly fancy equipment (Schoeps and
SoundDevices), and even that was bought given advice from professional
colleagues. But I want to recommend equipment to colleagues who want
to get into recording, often urban sounds. I used to recommend a
MiniDisc (pre-HiMD) recorder, often Sharp since AGC did not kick in
automatically, and some Core Sound binaurals, but the world has
changed with digital CF recorders, downloading by USB or Firewire,
etc. I know there has been lots of consideration on the list-- Please
help. My main concerns would be good preamps and ADC, that is accuracy
and reasonably low noise. Keep in mind that these users are unlikely
to read this list or any other. So it needs to work right, right out
of the box.

PS The microphone world has not changed so much. Let us say we want to
spend $200+ if need be, no fancy setup.

Thank you all for your considered advice. I am grateful to the list,
to Rob Danielson's website, ...
Martin Krieger
Professor of Planning
Univ of Southern California