Re: MP3 bit rate minimums and the Archive

Subject: Re: MP3 bit rate minimums and the Archive
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Tue May 15, 2007 8:08 am ((PDT))
At 8:18 PM +0530 5/15/07, Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
>At 2007-05-14 22:09:09 -0400,  wrote:
>>
>>  > AAC may become the standard tomorrow, but today mp3 is still what
>>  > is most widely and easily usable - even for folks on dial-up.
>>
>>  Which is why I have not yet changed my website to AAC. But am
>>  investigating the conversion.
>
>In choosing a long-term archival format, I would place a great deal of
>importance on its openness (the availability of documentation, source
>code, lack of patent restrictions, and so on). By this metric, I have
>been considering storing audio in FLAC <http://flac.sourceforge.net>
>or WavPack <http://www.wavpack.com> format. (I like the latter more,
>but the former seems better documented and more actively developed.)
>
>Besides storing the originals in that format, I'd offer MP3s as an
>interoperable download option.
>
>-- ams

I agree about the importance of openness and it would help address
Walt's concerns about file sizes too. If 24/48K and larger files
started to be posted on a regular basis (which some future users
would appreciate, I'm sure) and storage space became a long term
concern, creating a FLAC or WavPack file is a very good option that
could be introduced. Until then, for everyday downloading of the
higher res files for closer analysis, not having to use an third
application to do that would probably be more friendly don't you
think? Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: