MP3 bit rate minimums and the Archive

Subject: MP3 bit rate minimums and the Archive
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sat May 12, 2007 3:34 pm ((PDT))
At 11:53 AM -0400 5/12/07, Walter Knapp wrote:
>Posted by: "Rob Danielson"
>
>>  Yes,  ;-)  I was making a big stretch-- linking poor quality habits
>>  associated with mp3 files and the need to provide both quick mp3
>>  downloads AND preserve the full quality originals when people post
>>  sound files to the natrec list/future-archive. I think it would be
>>  pretty easy it to have someone program an uploading interface like
>>  this. We'd need to come to an agreement about the minimum
>>  site/recording data required. Rob D.
>
>Sounds to me like the requirements will freeze out those of us on
>modems. It takes a long time (actually longer) to upload a big file as
>it takes to download it. Requiring a uncompressed copy be uploaded won't
>work. Clearly you are setting up a system for those on high speed
>connections.

One could upload any file type-- within some limits. I used the
16/44.1K example to illustrate how a high-quality copy would be
preserved and a mp3 generated.  I'd suggest that any compatible sound
file be accepted from a list member if the required date-site data
info was provided.  There would be no need to up-sample a lower
quality file that was uploaded/posted.

Uploading a file to the archive would take the same amount of time as
uploading to one's own server.

I understand that some folks pay step access rates and can only
afford to receive and send emails.  I'm not sure how we overcome this.

When I had dial-up (~three years ago) I did my up-loading and
downloading over night. There was no extra charge. There are some
nifty, free scheduling programs that allow you to toss files/urls
into a folder during the day and auto transfer/download them at night.

>Setting a specific compression for mp3 is not going to keep file sizes
>to minimum. When I put up a mp3 I run the clip through several settings
>listening carefully to it. How much you can compress it varies by what
>the sound is. 192K would make too large a file by far compared to what's
>possible.
>
>And the world is moving on, locking in mp3 may not be the best idea. As
>I've pointed out MPEG4 is the standard now.

mp3 seems to be what people are set-up to make and play at the
moment. The compression rate could be selectable, but I'd just go
with a fixed mp3 format to get started.  Rob D.

>Have fun

Painting the house. We had six, different species of Warblers in our
blossoming apple tree yesterday. A stiff North wind had them
grounded. Rob D.