Re: Questions for Greg Weddig (was Spring in Maryland, US)

Subject: Re: Questions for Greg Weddig (was Spring in Maryland, US)
From: "Greg Weddig" gweddig
Date: Wed May 9, 2007 7:54 am ((PDT))
Hey George,
I'm glad you enjoyed the recording, thanks.  I tried to answer some of
your questions below.  Search for post 28205  (here
<http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/28205>  )
that may clarify additional questions.

--greg weddig
Baltimore, MD
http://www.gregweddig.net

--- In  "geopaul7" <>
wrote:

> Greg:  Your Prettyboy recording is quite remarkable.
>
> Can you please explain your thinking regarding the following:
>
> 1.  Using a separate preamp Lunatec in front of the Sound Devices 744?
Is its preamp better
> than the ones in the 744?  Or do you like to convert to digital signal
before recording?  Why
> use a separate preamp?  Why have this extra electronics in the line
up?

Because this was a originally a quad recording, and the Sound Devices
744t only has 2 microphone preamps, I needed to use an external preamp.
>From what I can tell and other posts seen here it is very difficult to
tell the difference.  Though my Grace preamp (Lunatec V3) predates my
Message: 744t.

Subject:
> 2.   Use of DPA omnis, rather than Sennheisers, and rather than more
directional
> microphones?  Why those?

Simple, because I have them, and don't have the Sennheisers.

> 3.  What you do with the 4 tracks.  How do you mix it?  Do you end up
with 5.1, or some
> other format?  Do all those mics end up muddying the waters, or is it
really better than
> stereo?

As I noted in a previous post there was no mixing of the four tracks,
just an extraction of the two omnis, a low end rolloff and a little off
the top end to taste.  I agree that mixing the four channels would likey
only serve to muddy the situation.  The reason for the four channel
recording was personal preference, and personal experimentation.  I find
in my studio surround recordings are more enjoyable to listen to even if
there isn't a convenient, universal  way to share them with the world
yet.