Re: documenting recordings...

Subject: Re: documenting recordings...
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Mon May 7, 2007 4:46 pm ((PDT))
Walt, you wrote,

>There is a big push for cameras with built in GPS. On the surface it is
>a good idea in that it would give you a location and calibrated time for
>each shot if it worked. What is a problem for my mind is that they still
>have not produced a GPS that's not a battery eater. And GPS, even the
>newest ones take time to find themselves each time they are turned on.
>Of course there is also the problem that GPS cannot find it's location
>everywhere. Shots taken inside buildings, forests, deep valleys and so
>on would likely either take a long time for the GPS to be ready or it
>would never be ready. I've used GPS steadily since it first became
>available, so have less faith that it will magically give me a location
>that's usable all the time everywhere.

Agreed. I've been learning GPS for a couple of years. I'm on my
second unit (left the first on top of the car...). A big difference
between the first (Garmin ETrex Legend) and the second (Garmin GPSMap
60CSx) is the antenna. The helical antenna on the 60CSx is much, much
more sensitive, and now gets bearings inside my building (1 story)
and in trees, whereas the flat antenna couldn't. I still had reduced
accuracy in the defiles of Yosemite, where there was a lot less sky
visible.

-Dan Dugan