documenting recordings...

Subject: documenting recordings...
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon May 7, 2007 7:26 am ((PDT))
I use a similar associated .rtfd document arrangement so that I can
include photos of the location, logging notes and "screen shots" of
info that is easier to capture with that method.  The text in such
documents searches extremely efficiently. Simply including a text
reference to a whole set of photos or other relevant recordings with
corresponding file names is easy and powerful.

It would likely create quite a debate to try and agree on all of the
categories to include in a standardized "record," but we might be
able to settle on the the first 25 items (or so) and assign the next
25 as individual user defined. These would increase datdbase
abilities. The programming could even include the ability to instruct
the database application to display only user defined info in
creating the archive on-line pages with personal preferences/touches.
This  ability would not have to interfere with the data base use of
other "required" fields.

I suspect one, early step is to determine the database application to
use on the server that will read the associated docs added to the
archive, compile the info into master record (for play listing and
sorting) and produce the individual web display pages for each
recording (and a page of for a _group_ of recordings I imagine in
some cases).  I'm sure there would interest in using the same
database application for one's own personal archive so the
application we use should be cross-platform and free. For people who
are currently using a tabbed index system, like Filemaker or Excel, a
conversion program can probably be made to automatically translate
those records.

Can anyone on this list direct us to someone, or perhaps IS the
someone with sever database programming skills?  If not, I can start
looking for such a person.  As for the entries that should be
required with each sound/recording upload, maybe another group could
start working on that?  With simple directives from that group,
perhaps we could start uploading excel sheets (or ?) along-side mp3's
with 5? or so required fields to create a pool of test files the
programmers could use to develop the programming. I think GoogleMaps
can convert a place into coordinates.

What I'm suggesting is the resource we are planning might best be
reversed-design from a very smart, future-looking automated on-line
resource. The whole archive, even individual files could be as
accessible or as protected as one prefers. Rob D.