Re: Quicktime problem

Subject: Re: Quicktime problem
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sun May 6, 2007 11:02 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Robin Carter"

> I have been using Quicktime as an audio player in conjunction with Firefox
> and Windows XP for surfing the net. Up until recently this has worked just
> fine, but with the current version of Quicktime (version 7.1.5.120) only
> about 3 seconds of an MP3 download play and no more. This is very annoying.
> I have tried to change the file associations so that the Windows Media
> Player plays my MP3 downloads, but Quicktime still grabs the stage. I can
> only hear the very beginning of some of the fascinating natural sound files
> that has been posted to the Internet by Nature Recordists group members.

We have quicktime on our one PC here and I can assure you it plays any
length of mp3 we feed it. On Firefox. That's, of course true of all our
macs too, all of which are also running 7.1.5.

Note that the current version of Quicktime is now version 7.1.6.
Sometime in the last week or so that was released. I've not downloaded
it yet, but will real soon. It does fix some bugs they found, and should
be installed by all as there is a exploit that takes advantage of
Quicktime for Java to break into a computer that I think they fixed with
this one. (another 51 megs to download for this modem user)

Now Windows Media Player...  That's one sick puppy, I spent weeks trying
to get it to play certain sites without dropouts on my wife's mac G4
desktop. But since I can play and create it's files just fine with
Quicktime I don't use it much at all.

> My last resort will be to uninstall Quicktime. That will kill it for sure,
> but I am hoping that there is a less drastic solution.

This is the standard advice for Windows when software does not run
right. Uninstall the software, then reinstall it. Windows has a lot of
problems that can be solved that way. It's a lot simpler than trying to
figure out exactly what's wrong in the OS.

If that does not work, the standard advice is to reinstall the OS and
all programs if I remember right. I've never had to do that to fix a
mac, but I have windows friends who do that on a regular schedule to
keep their machines running well.

> It never ceases to amaze me how software developers can take a perfectly
> functional piece of software (like any of the old versions of Quicktime) and
> "improve" it into something that no longer works. This happens a lot,
> unfortunately.

Quicktime 7.1.5 works perfectly in my experience. (it also works better
than older versions)

Before you point at quicktime, point at your OS. More than likely it's
interfering with Firefox or the playing. Or just has accumulated a bug
of it's own that only a reinstall will fix.