5. Equipment Testing Goals Methods (was Rich being Testy

Subject: 5. Equipment Testing Goals Methods (was Rich being Testy
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sun May 6, 2007 7:55 pm ((PDT))
At 12:53 PM -0400 5/6/07, Walter Knapp wrote:
>Even as a technical equipment group, I'm offended by the lack of scientific
>method in all that.

Hi Walt--
I'm sorry if my tests offend you. I'm open to suggestions for
improving my methods.

In the recent test Jerry and I collaborated on, our goal was to
compare the high-gain self-noise performance of six mics operating on
Hi-MD PIP. I'm pretty sure recordists will not encounter noise
differences in the field inconsistent with those in the tests when
recording ambience in quiet locations on Hi-MD recorders. So far, I
am not aware of field results that have conflicted with the
comparisons I've made and documented, but that is always remains a
possibility.

Of course, the A/B comparison testing I do is not aimed at numerical
outcomes. The goal is to enable subjective evaluation for a very
specific type of recording which is stated as a premise when I post
them to the list.

I believe listening tests can be telling for judging noise
performance-- not for the sake of claiming one component as generally
better than another-- but for making more tangible the differences
involved.  Though the tests have found a few surprises that have been
valuable,  they are not ambitious in their goals. They are admittedly
most effective at evaluating upper frequency self-noise of recorder
mic preamps. A few have compared mic self-noise and fewer still,
stereo imaging.

Applying subjectivity is one of the important ways recordists and
engineers place quality in perspective. For example, in the press
release regarding their new high-end mics, Sennhesiser reports, "The
technical development was supported at a very early stage by sound
and listening tests, and the sound engineers involved in the tests
confirmed that the new microphones have an incredibly impressive
sound quality that even goes beyond that of the innovative MKH 800."
Rob D.

.

--
Rob Danielson