6. Re: Rich being Testy

Subject: 6. Re: Rich being Testy
From: "Rich Peet" richpeet
Date: Sun May 6, 2007 8:32 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> At 1:20 PM +0200 5/6/07, Klas Strandberg wrote:
> >Sorry, I missed this topic.
>

> >Can someone clarify?

Sorry, cann't help your english and if you don't try to understand
then things like the telinga dish being shrill will also stay the same.

> I'll try. Rich was following up on the discussion about how we could
> improve the lists' short and long term sound file upload facilitation.
>
> I took Rich's comment to be more about freshening-up the look of the
> list than about the content of the tag line that has been there for
> quite some time.

to freshen would be good. If we are going to adopt a separate file
storage location and archival area then that should be defined on the
group pages as well.

> We remain a diverse group. I accept the criticism that we (and I am a
> major instigation) often spend too much time doing pure tech chat.
> Rich, clearly, cannot be slighted for this. So, as relevant as the
> reminder is in terms of the list's stated goals, I suspect the
> literal, obviousness of the quote might be wearing thin for some
> folks. Rich, feel free to correct my interpretation! Rob D.

We are a diverse group with different uses of natural sound.

The Klas tag reads:
>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg

Now some of us actually build listening rooms and take pride in them.
My recording of birds that I play in a listening room my be the only
exposure to nature that some of these people run into.  Do not expect
someone to love someone they have not met. Don't expect someone to
protect something they have not experienced.  I have brought nature to
some who have not met it beyond my work and that of other media.  I
keep trying.

There a number of people trying to protect the arctic on this group.
Almost all people will only know of the arctic by the sights and
sounds that media brings to them.  If media is not nature then kiss
that arctic goodbye.

I don't do research.  In fact each time that I document a new change
in ranges of birds and frogs I am not believed.  My audio files are.
Gee, those mics are ears.

When I put headphones on my dying mother-in-laws head who had been in
 pain for days with no distraction, I will testify to you all that
those headphones were birds.  They put a smile on her face and let her
relax.

Yes, I think that the tag is an insult but Rob is correct that the
context of my post was looking for a way to have this group properly
transition and renew.

Rich Peet
back to the swamp