Great Natural Sound Recordings: Steering Committee for Digital Sound

Subject: Great Natural Sound Recordings: Steering Committee for Digital Sound
From: "geopaul7" geopaul7
Date: Sat May 5, 2007 9:20 am ((PDT))
--- In  Gianni Pavan <> wrote:

> Dear George,

>          I'd really love to see on the net a webspace dedicated at
> collecting well documented nature recordings and any other sound
> recording able to document acoustic events related to human history
> and cultures (I mean examples of all languages of the world, sound
> cuts of musical instruments, of machines too... e.g. old typewriters
> or trains or a morse code or the noise made by traditional works....).
> I think the best would be to have both compressed cuts for fast
> access and browsing and longer uncompressed files for those really
> interested in top quality sounds to be used for fun or for teaching.

 Dear Gianni:

Thanks for the response!

I completely agree about compressed and uncompressed options.  My thought e=
xactly.
The uncompressed takes more space, but what the heck?, space is cheap these=
 days and
getting cheaper.  However, this will be a low in number, highest of high qu=
ality project
exhibiting the best sounds ever recorded, so volume should not be problem, =
at least
initially.

I also agree about recording data.  Great idea.

I suggest that to get started -- someone just start nominating excellent re=
cordings:  They
need to be identified first, and someone probably will have a great time au=
ditioning them.
This will take some time and a collection would build slowly.  This would s=
eem to be "fun,"
which more than anything, is the name of the game for me.

I have in mind certain criteria for Candidate Recordings: