Re: The Greatest Natural Sound Recordings in History: Group Files S

Subject: Re: The Greatest Natural Sound Recordings in History: Group Files S
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sat May 5, 2007 10:05 pm ((PDT))

Dan wrote:

>Now that the mechanics of recording has become so simple and reliable
>(Not to say that being in the right place at the right time is simple
>at all!), IMHO the technical challenge of the 21st century is
>integrating metadata into recordings. All that data has got to be -in
>the file- in order to be reliably preserved and transmitted.

I fear the demand is not great enough for recorder manufacturers to
agree-upon and standardize the features we need. Within a few years
we'll be wanting to attach images and have many data categories to
sort with.  Derek Holzer's site: SoundTransit,
http://soundtransit.nl/index.html  currently creates tags on the
mp3's one uploads and uses the ID tags to automatically create site
pages about the files and for advanced searching.

The info tagging system should probably be backwards compatible as
well --that is-- allow one to add the info to a normal .wav or .aiff
sound files without having to create a new copy of the file to just
to add a resource fork.  We have too many files that are already
named and archived in a personally useful way. New files or even
names would be too data storage and time intensive for many to adopt.

Maybe the data could be read from an standardized text doc as Gianni
suggests for building an on-line page when ever one drops in
soundfile.wav/soundfile.txt pair.

But then, maybe appending files, even old formats, will become a very
normal and easy thing to do. Rob D.