Belkin TuneTalk power supply

Subject: Belkin TuneTalk power supply
From: "cmerkord" cmerkord
Date: Fri May 4, 2007 10:21 am ((PDT))
Hi,

I am a graduate student at the University of Missouri and have been
doing audio-visual surveys for birds in SE Peru for the last 3 years
as part of my doctoral dissertation research.  I have been recording
each point count I conduct using the built-in microphone in an Edirol
R-09, to aid in identification of unknown bird songs after the fact.
Other than problems with the mic input going bad, for which the R-09
is notorious, I have been well satisfied with its performance.

I will not have an Edirol with me this coming field season and am
looking  for an alternative.  I already have a video iPod and would
like to solicit opinions on the performance of the Belkin TuneTalk
Stereo, an optional accessory that allows you to record to your iPod.
Details can be found on Belkin's website:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=277661.

I plan on using my own omnidirectional mic.  The only problem I forsee
is the short battery life of the iPod when using the TuneTalk (~1.5
hrs).  Luckily, unlike its competitors by XtremeMac and Griffin, the
TuneTalk has a mini-USB port to charge the iPod while the TuneTalk is
connected.  So what I need is a device that runs on disposable
batteries (AA preferably) that will charge my iPod via a mini-USB
port.  The only thing I can find that fits the bill is the JAVOBooster
by JAVOEdge, details on their website:
http://www.javoedge.com/reflexeshop/productCatalog/getProduct.do?poid=1005&pbmId=2866.
I think I should be able to connect the JAVOBooster to the TuneTalk
using any standard USB-USB mini cable, but I'm not sure on this.

Has anyone used this particular setup or does anyone have comments on
proposed plan?  Any other way to charge the iPod in the field via the
mini-USB port?  Comments on first-hand field experience of any kind
with the TuneTalk are also welcome.

Many Thanks,
Chris

Christopher L. Merkord