PZM mods

Subject: PZM mods
From: "Kim Cascone" anechoicmedia
Date: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:52 am ((PDT))
> Thanks for doing the experiment! I have a pair I bought in 1986, I had
> cut the TS plug off and put XLRs on and they sounded okay but are
> prone
> to hum and buzz a bit. This might be a very good use for them. But
> where are you getting the 9V from? I thought PIP was 3 - 5 V. Maybe
> that's enough.
>
> Got some signal to noise tests we can hear?

the web page
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-PREAMP-4
for my preamp states:

> Built-in 9 volt "plug-in-power" at mic input jack - no additional
> battery module needed to power your mini microphones!

I haven't measured the voltage under load but I'm assuming that it's
around 8.0 - 9.0v

I'll do some recordings this week and post the files as .wavs to the
list server

> Likely you were successful! Some electret mic
> capsules have a fairly high impedance and a
> decrease in low Hz response might provide a clue
> about that. Rob D.

yes the matching xformer (600=BD -> 10k=BD) is no longer in circuit
but all the Realistic PZM mods I've looked at suggest the xformer
being taken out since its crap

but I've seen no info on the resulting effect this has on the low
freq response

q: do the Panasonic WM-61A (=BD=3D<2.2k) and/or Transound TSB-140A
(=BD=3D<1.3k) capsules also suffer from this low freq/impedance effect?