Re: Telinga Stereo-DAT compared with Twin Science?

Subject: Re: Telinga Stereo-DAT compared with Twin Science?
From: "David Ellsworth" davidells
Date: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:07 am ((PDT))
At 2007-04-12 05:36, you wrote:
>The Twin Science has two mono microphone - one omni, facing out and a
>cardioid facing into the dish.
>You get two outputs, both mono.
>To optimize this function, you need to learn how to place the mic
>inside the dish, different from one situation to another. The
>frequency curve of the parabol will get very different, - several
>decibel up and down - depending on which mic of the two is placed
>where,in the dish, relative to the focus.

This is exactly what I suspected. Thanks Klas!

At 2007-04-12 05:14, you wrote:
>If I look back 40 years, I find a very special reason why recordists
>wanted to make "clinical" recordings: It was difficult!

This makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the historical information.

>Personally, I don't want to listen to any more recordings of that
>kind.

There is a definite advantage to recording ambience along with the
subject. One of the cool things I got a taste of last Tuesday is
hearing another bird answering the main singer! It made me wish I had
two parabolics. It really seemed like two House Finches were taking
turns singing! I couldn't decide whether to keep the dish aimed at
one of them or to try to second-guess their turn-taking. I ended up
getting some of the former and some of the latter, and in hindsight I
should've done the former for the entire time, as it makes for a more
interesting and meaningful listen. (Plus, my initial impression that
they were taking turns didn't seems as accurate once I started
"taking turns" with my microphone.)

>Film sound is another niche for Twin Science. They often want the
>sound to be as clinical and pure as possible, and then mix it into a
>stereo background.

I can see this would definitely make sense, because you can separate
out tasks for the crew. There can be one person tending to the
camera, another holding the parabolic microphone, another (or maybe
more than one) doing the background recording. With everything
separated, they can choose exactly what levels to mix at.

However, a film crew generally knows exactly what they want to get.
I'm a one-man crew, and I film whatever beautiful/interesting birds I
find on my walks. So the stereo probably still makes more sense.

However, for my project of collecting/studying House Finch songs, the
Twin Science might make more sense. I want to set up a "grid" in the
area where I live, and visit each square of the grid at least once to
record the finches there (and visit again later if I have no luck).
Since their songs are so localized, I know for some I'll have no
choice but to record in a noisy part of the city.

If I have a better idea of just how much better the Twin Science is
at "clinical" recording, I'll better be able to decide whether to buy one. =