Re: Telinga Stereo-DAT compared with Twin Science?

Subject: Re: Telinga Stereo-DAT compared with Twin Science?
From: "David Ellsworth" davidells
Date: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:15 am ((PDT))
Walt, thanks for your excellent reply!

Our auditory perception is indeed good at isolating one sound source
in a stereo field; I'm pretty sure we're still far ahead of what
software can do. There's this thing called "blind signal separation",
but that only works when there are as many channels as there are
signals, and the signals need to be point sources. Although, there
may be advances I'm not aware of.

I am surprised to hear that with the Twin Science, the subject's
sound is centered. I would've thought it would be skewed to one side.
Is it centered because you adjusted the focus of the microphone until
it was centered? Is the background ambience uncentered?

How does the Stereo-DAT compare with the Twin Science after a
conversion to mono?