1. Re: MZ-M200

Subject: 1. Re: MZ-M200
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Apr 7, 2007 10:20 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "oryoki2000"

> Walter Knapp wrote:
>
>> > Has anyone tried the Sony MZ-M200?...It records
>> > both in himd and the original MD formats.
>
> The MZ-M200 is a kit including
> -- a MZ-RH1 Hi-MD recorder
> -- Sony ECM-DS70P Stereo Microphone
> -- upgraded Sony MDR-EO931 Earbud Headphones.
> -- Hi-MD Music Transfer software for Mac
>
> According to the Hi-MD Music Transfer for Mac manual, it is NOT
> possible to transfer recordings made in ATRAC or ATRAC3 (the older
> "conventional" minidisc formats), just WAV, Hi-SP and Hi-LP. During
> transfer, Hi-SP and Hi-LP are converted to WAV format.
>
> Here's a link to the manual
> http://tinyurl.com/3yw6ll
>
> The Music Transfer for Mac software works with the MZ-M200, MZ-M100
> and MZ-M10 machines, sold by Sony's Broadcast and Business Solutions
> division.
>
> So even though the MZ-M200 can record in the legacy minidisc format,
> the resulting ATRAC file can't transfer to a Mac. However, the legacy
> minidisc formats can be transferred by USB to a PC using Sony's Sonic
> Stage software.
>
> Silly, isn't it?

About normal. There's a huge number of windows users but these companies
don't really think it thru as to what they do. I bet the proportion of
windows users doing sound recording is less than the proportion that are
doing so with macs. The majority of windows machines are used in big
offices or by folks surfing the internet and doing email. Few of those
machines have anything unusual in the way of software, while a greater
proportion of macs are being used in more exotic ways. I probably have
ten times the number of different software on my MacBook Pro as the
average windows user.

I can transfer legacy minidisc formats digitally as a audio stream via
USB using my Portadisc. Though what I actually do is use optical digital
connection from the portadisc.

Looking farther it looks like the MZ-M200 is identical to the MZ-RH1
with the addition of the mic. Both come with the mac transfer software
which sounds good enough for Hi-MD use as it's drag and drop. Is there
any functional difference between the models a far as use with a mac? I
have not found any listed, though some talk as if there is. The MZ-M200
is priced higher, more than the added mic is worth, and I have that mic
anyway.

I've been kind of looking at the current minidiscs a little. Thinking
about setting up a froglogger or so. There was a supplier that offered a
setup that used a MZ-RH1, so there must be some way to control these
with a timer as is done with frogloggers. Unfortunately he's no longer
offering it. Many people are still using cassette frogloggers because
they are much easier to run with a timer. GA DNR is so short of funds
they are having to borrow the cassette frogloggers to do some work this
year. So I've been looking around for options.