Re: Question re MP 3 compression; Kherz; and Digital Recordi

Subject: Re: Question re MP 3 compression; Kherz; and Digital Recordi
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:36 pm ((PDT))
At 1:35 PM +0200 4/5/07, Derek Holzer wrote:
>What compression algorithm is used to make the VBR files? Does Audition
>use Fraunhofer, LAME or something else?
>
>That can make a huge difference.

I'd be curious to hear the difference. One could start with a ambient
field recording made in a very quiet location (with peaks in the
neighborhood of -30 to -40dB) and run a first pair of tests:

1) An mp3 of the original with Lame VBR at 192 kbps.
2) An mp3 of the original with Fraunhofer VBR at 192 kbps.

Then create a gain-boosted 24 bit submaster with peaks in the
neighborhood of -1 to -3dB

3) Making an mp3 of the submaster with Lame VBR at 192 kbps.
4) Making an mp3 of the submaster  with Fraunhofer VBR at 192 kbps.

Put the first pair in any order and the second pair in any order and
see if folks can discern a difference.

Rich, your test went missing for me,..

Rob D.

--