Re: Question re MP 3 compression; Kherz; and Digital Recordi

Subject: Re: Question re MP 3 compression; Kherz; and Digital Recordi
From: "Rich Peet" richpeet
Date: Wed Apr 4, 2007 11:18 am ((PDT))
--- In  "John Lundsten"
<> wrote:

> I use Adobe Audition for this job, which can produce Mp3's from any
format.
> I tend to be going from 32bit float or poss 24 Integer and sometimes
16 bit.
> I've not done critical listenening comparisons recently (about 5
years ago
> actually) but comparing the LAME encoder to Fraunhofer one in Cool
Edit Pro
> V1.2  (an earlier version of Audition) the Fraunhofer one was the clear
> winner also at the time LAME didn't do variable bit rate encoding
which can
> be VERY useful IMO.

I don't understand dither well enough to comment and don't understand
various encodes that well either.  My comment relates only to natural
sound recording.

I strongly recommend that for natural sound recording, never ever use
Variable Bit Rate MP3.  Because even with loud birds there is quiet
between the notes and the result is terrible.  On quiet sounds and
changing volume sounds you place a "pumping" sound to your files
background. This can be avoided by using Constant Bit Rate.

I don't do music so I have yet to find a use for Variable Bit rate.

Rich Peet