Re: Cavision Suspension/cloning a Windjammer

Subject: Re: Cavision Suspension/cloning a Windjammer
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Sun Apr 1, 2007 4:25 pm ((PDT))
Thanks for a very interesting report. I went to a Cavision dealer
here in Vancouver on Friday, but all their unites were out for
rental. I just wanted to correct a couple of things in your
comparison. It's clear that you had quite an old Rycote, and so the
comparison isn't quite valid on a couple of points:

> - another difference on the Cavision system is the ability to adjust
> the brackets to the length of the microphone -- whereas on the Rycote
> system the brackets are screwed into the ends of a fixed length
> enameled metal bar. It's useful to be able to adjust the brackets to
> different size mics if need be.

The current Rycote suspensions have several holes pre-drilled to move
the the brackets back and forth as well. It's been this way now for a
while.

> - The suspension brackets on the Rycote system uses two bands of
> round elastic cord on each bracket, whereas the Cavision uses four
> rubber O-rings per bracket. The rubber O-rings are a little stiff so
> I plan to replace them with the elastic round cord I bought. The
> elastic on the Rycote I rented was stretched out and didn't support
> the weight of the AT822. In fact, the mic was hitting the bottom of
> the bracket and made a bumping sound. The Cavision system's four
> suspension bands seems a better way to ensure good bouncy suspension.

Also, the elastic cord is VERY old Rycote. They've now been using
four silicon bands for years. The suspension type you mention for
Rycote was a pain. The current models are very good, use four bands,
and even have lots of options for where the bands connect to the
bracket (there are I think 8 pre-drilled holes for moving the
connectors around the circle. So you can really adjust how you want
the bands to connect, how tight they are, etc.

See www.rycote.co.uk for how the current model is.

Tim