Cavision Suspension/cloning a Windjammer

Subject: Cavision Suspension/cloning a Windjammer
From: "Kim Cascone" anechoicmedia
Date: Sun Apr 1, 2007 3:18 pm ((PDT))
In order to study the difference between a Rycote suspension system/
windshield and the Cavsion version I rented a Rycote system in
addition to a Rycote Windjammer.

- Cavision 30cm LONG WINDSHIELD SWS1030**
http://www.cavision.com/audio/windshields/SWS1030.htm
** purchased directly from Cavision in Canada

- Cavision SPS810M Suspension System**
http://www.cavision.com/audio/suspension/suspension.htm
**purchased through Adorama in NYC:
http://www.adorama.com/CISPS810M.html?sid=11744152731143418

On initial examination of the two systems it was evident that
Cavision had copied the Rycote system in basic materials (with some
differences), construction and design.
There are some differences in material quality but not as great as I
had expected before getting the Cavision system.

In other words, the various audio dealers who warned me that I would
be buying 'crap' is unfounded.

The Cavsion is to Rycote as Behringer is Mackie: i.e. a decent
quality knock-off at a fraction of the price.

PRICES:
Rycote system + windshield (sans Windjammer) = ~$600 USD
Cavsion system + windshield (sans Windjammer) = $200 USD (which
includes shipping the windshield from Canada via FedEx)

CLIPS:
The clips that came with the Cavision suspension were 19mm (the size
was not specified on the dealers website)
http://www.adorama.com/CISPS810M.html?sid=11744152731143418

so I ended up breaking a clip while removing my stereo mic. So I
called Cavision in Canada, and spoke to a sales rep (Jason) and
promised to put a couple of (larger) 21mm clips in the mail to me --
free of charge. Very cool of them!

CUST SERV:
After ordering the windshield directly from Cavsion the sales rep
called me back to suggest I go with a larger sized windshield for my
mic. He had done some research into the size of the AT-822 with the
XLR connector hanging off the end and established that what I had
ordered wasn't going to fit.

It was nice of him to call me and ensure I had the right size rather
than letting me figure it out for myself and sending it back. Since
FedEx is the only way Cavsion is able to ship goods into the US it is
VERY pricey and saving me from a second $35 FedEx shipping charge was
very cool of them.

Rycote vs. Cavsion:
To test the two systems I wanted to use them under the sorts of
conditions that I normally record in. Since I don't do much
production sound my systems are not exposed to that level of abuse
and wear & tear so keep that in mind when reading my A/B test results.

I took both systems to my sons baseball game and recorded some
cheering crowds and sports activity.
Also, I knew there would be wind at this park and this was great for
testing the windshield and windjammer.

MY RIG:
Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-5 Pre-Amp + Archos 402 based rig, an
Audio Technica AT-822 stereo mic and a pair of cheap earbuds.
And of course, the Cavision and Rycote systems.

testing 1,2,3:
- recording with windshield and NO windjammer: on the Rycote the
plastic basket part is over the fabric - while on the Cavision the
fabric is over the plastic basket.
While recording with the Rycote windsheld (again sans Windjammer) the
wind made a slight wispy whistling sound as the exterior plastic
basket part caught the wind; while the Cavision windshield was
quieter in the same wind environment because the fabric covering the
basket part eliminated any contact of the wind with the plastic basket.

- The pistol grip part of the Rycote is made of a denser plastic
material which highly dampens the transmission of handling noise
(with bare hands). The Cavision is made of a more 'brittle' plastic
and has more area carved out of the handle for cabling purposes
therefor making the transmission greater when handling with bare
hands. Solution is to wear a soft fleece padded glove while holding
the grip.

- the path for the cable to exit the Cavsion windshield basket seems
to rub against the end cap when twisting it on and off. On the Rycote
the hole for the cable exit is straight out of the basket which
prevents any contact of the cable with the end cap of the windshield.
I'm using a small diameter cable from my AT-822 since I'm going from
XLR to a stereo 3.5mm mini-jack -- a larger diameter cable is more
problematic. In order to solve this I plan on cutting the cable rail
slot to be longer so the cable can drop directly down and exit the
windshield. This requires a bit of drilling and filing but will solve
this problem.

- another difference on the Cavision system is the ability to adjust
the brackets to the length of the microphone -- whereas on the Rycote
system the brackets are screwed into the ends of a fixed length
enameled metal bar. It's useful to be able to adjust the brackets to
different size mics if need be.

- The suspension brackets on the Rycote system uses two bands of
round elastic cord on each bracket, whereas the Cavision uses four
rubber O-rings per bracket. The rubber O-rings are a little stiff so
I plan to replace them with the elastic round cord I bought. The
elastic on the Rycote I rented was stretched out and didn't support
the weight of the AT822. In fact, the mic was hitting the bottom of
the bracket and made a bumping sound. The Cavision system's four
suspension bands seems a better way to ensure good bouncy suspension.

- The swivel adjustment knob on the Rycote is holds the angle of the
pistol grip in place, via friction, when tightened. On the Cavision
system there are two plates with teeth so when tightened the grip is
securely locked into place. Nice touch.

- both systems can mount to a boom pole or mic stand via a 3/8" pole
connection thread under the handle.

- both systems can accommodate an XLR connector in the handle. The
Cavision handle has extra cut out areas for other cabling needs.

SUMMARY: The Cavision system is a really great value at 1/3 the price
of a Rycote system and it even has some features that are better than
the Rycote.
Whoever tells you this stuff is crap is dead wrong -- the one caveat
being that using it in in a professional film production environment
for chasing dialog or feet could reveal material weaknesses due to
the intensity of the physical work.
If you collect sounds on set or do location recording i.e., less
stressful work, the Cavision system should be fine.
I'm looking forward to using this system in the field and will report
back any failures or damage that occurs.

sidebar: please ask your local audio dealers to carry the Cavision line?
If they give you a 'we looked at it and it is crap' tell them their
being held hostage by their Rycote sales rep.
There is NO reason why a mostly plastic suspension system and a
windshield should run someone $600.00+ USD!
A word of advice to Rycote: watch out! :)

Cloning a Rycote Windjammer:
Although Cavision also makes a windjammer I chose to make my own
using the faux fur that I bought from John Hartog on this list last
year.

I rented a Rycote windjammer in addition to the suspension and
windshield in order to clone a pattern from it and make a windjammer
for my Cavision windshield.

My wife (who happens to be a talented seamstress) helped me choose
some bright yellow polyester knit for the lining of the windjammer as
well as the correct zippers and velcro. The material for the lining
looked very close to the Rycote but is not as smooth. Running a
fingernail over the material and scratching it is a good test for
potential fabric noise i.e. movement of fabric against the windshield.
I don't expect this to be a problem since the windjammer doesn't move
much against the windshield -- so hopefully there won't be any fabric
noise.
But I'll have to test this once my wife finishes sewing the windjammer.

To make a pattern of the windjammer we turned it inside-out and
studied the seams in the fur and lining (the seams were in the same
place).
We laid it out on a pattern board and made traced it. When flattened
out on a table it looks like an elongated oval with two angled slits
for the zippers.
The fur and lining are made from a single piece of fabric each which
makes it simple to cut.
We then documented it by taking copious pictures and I am going to
try and make a xerox of the inside-out windjammer on 8.5x14 paper so
we can refer to its size if need be.
We bought some 7" white zippers which need to be cut down to 5" to
match the Rycote model -- there are instructions on the back of the
zipper package telling you how to do this.
We also bought some flexible black velcro which will be used to close
the windjammer behind the pistol grip. This entails cutting back some
fur on one side and attaching the 'velcro fur' there as well as a
strip of velcro hooks to the other side.
It looks pretty simple - for a seamstress that is -- and shouldn't
take more than an afternoon of sewing. The zippers might be tricky
but since the package gives instruction on shortening the length of a
zipper it should be a matter of trail and error.

I can post the windjammer pattern as a jpg in the future if anyone is
interested.

The Rycote windjammer is also IMO very overpriced. If you happen to
sew or know someone who does sew then check out trying to make your
own. Even if it is not perfectly sewn it is still better than putting
money in Rycotes pocket. They have an unfair monopoly on the industry
and its about time someone like Cavision and DIYers offered some
competition.