Schoeps, hand-held

Subject: Schoeps, hand-held
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:31 pm ((PDT))
ErnstKarel wrote:

"...does anyone have a way of holding a stereo pair of Schoeps
CMC6/MK4 mics so that they don't transfer every tiny motion of the
muscles in your hand that you didn't even know were moving? I've got
them mounted in ORTF configuration, each in its own A 20 S
shockmounts..."

I use a Schoeps MS pair (CCM4/CCM8) mounted in the Schoeps/Rycote
shockmount/windjammer, and have no problems with handling noise
provided I am not doing anything that changes my grasp on the pistol
grip (i.e. releasing a finger and replacing it, or letting the grip
slip around in my palm). I can walk around with it and so on with no
problem...

Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure the cable(s)
are properly isolated as well? Handling noise can easily travel up the
cable directly into the microphone body, bypassing (and thereby
defeating) the shockmount altogether. Whenever I am using a shockmount
I try to make sure the cable is firmly fixed to the top of the grip
(above my hand), and then run it into the rear of the microphone via a
small loop, ensuring it is not touching any other part of the assembly
or of itself. Any vibrations travelling up the cable are absorbed as
minute expansions and contractions of the loop before they enter the
microphone's body...

- Greg Simmons