Re: Phantom power noise - again!!!

Subject: Re: Phantom power noise - again!!!
From: "umashankar" umashanks
Date: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:08 am ((PDT))
there is a slew of problems with phantom power in these low voltage digital
devices.

i first came up with it with a digidesign mbox, intermittent whine on one or
the other channels which went away when phantom was switched off. not so
serious, but occassionally audible whine on a presonus inspire (a firewire
device). i heard some awful noises on the zoom which i think came from the
phantom power. i heard the noises on the m-audio 24/96 as well.

i think the culprit in all these is the switched mode phantom power and
probably the best thing would be an outboarded phantom power. it does not
always have to be 48 volts - depends on the mike of course, but i have run
oktava mko12 (a simple resistor for the condensor DC voltge) on 18 volts with
only a small loss in sensitivity.

umashankar