Re: another windpack question

Subject: Re: another windpack question
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:46 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "evs"

> so, any of the windpack users here can tell me if the windpack is as
> robust as the rycote, and you can grapple it in a bag without it
> getting damaged, or use it the way i told i want to use it?
> and is it really  bigger than a rycote?

There is actually a third choice, that's the Sennheiser system. It's
similar in shape to the rycote, but much, much more robust. Rycote
zeppelins are pretty delicate and used ones often have cracks in them.
I keep my M/S (all three setups I normally have along) in a plastic bin,
normally all made up with even the fur cover on. I may use them without
the fur, but it's pretty rare I take them out of the zeppelin. That bin
has been all over the country in my truck like that.

For air travel it would be necessary to break them down farther to limit
the bulk.

I don't own a windpack, but have at least looked at one. It depends on
the tight fabric for the stability of it's frame. I would think it would
not last near as long as the Sennheiser setups if carted around all made
up like I do. It is bigger too.

Note that no wind system can stand having bulky or heavy items packed on
top of it. You need to stuff zeppelins with clothes or such like for air
travel to keep them from being crushed. Or do like I do and have a
dedicated carry bin for them that protects them.