Re: MS monitoring on PC without conversion

Subject: Re: MS monitoring on PC without conversion
From: "stoatwizard" stoatwizard
Date: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:57 pm ((PST))
Aha - big light bulb goes on in head - I have just realised from you
guys that I actually already have what I needed - just didn't know
how to do it. I might as well post to save anyone else the
embarrassment if they shared my mental block ;-)

I used to use Cooledit2000, which pretty much does the function the
razor blade did when I was fooling around with tape recorders as a
kid. Then I go for Audition because it worked like CoolEdit, and I
stay with the razor blade mode (called Edit view).

What with Lou's mention of tracks and John's mention of VST plugins I
figure I'll try to see how to get a VST plugin working, and I can't
see where to put in VST effects. I have always used the Effects ->
Filters on a single track in edit mode. Which you have to render to
hear the result.

So far I've avoided the multitrack view mode tab - hey, I'm a nature
recordist, not a mixdown engineer. I only deal with one (stereo)
track at a time. I don't need no stinkin' multitracks...

Well, now in this till now unused multitrack tab I drag my MS track.
Now I can put my effects in there - and Audition already has a
channel mixer MS decoder which is what I always used in the past to
convert my single stereo MS to stereo AB, by rendering.

So I add that to something
called the effects track on that track. And now it changes what I
hear playing so I get stereo back, without destroying the original
wav. D'oh. I've only been using this program for about two years...!

So, many thanks, guys, for enlightening me. I didn't realise that you
could run effects real-time like that. What a different way of
working - I was under the impression it was like in video where you
have to render the effects to hear them...