Re: MD software

Subject: Re: MD software
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Fri Mar 9, 2007 6:16 pm ((PST))
> thanks!! so there is currently no way to move regular MD
> files on regular MD disks to another medium without
> decompressing them? for too many days now I've been making
> MP3s from about 40 MDs recorded on my recently visited
> island (Global Islands Project)-- I USB-record the files to
> Mac and then export to MP3 at 128 and 48kbps-- this takes
> almost 3 hours per disc! -- wish there was a faster way-- is
> making a 48kbps mp3 from the 128kbps-mp3 much worse than
> making it from the MD-AIFF file? is an mp3 of a CD
> appreciably better quality than an mp3 of a regular-MD-file
> of a CD?

With a contemporary Sony HiMD deck you could upload the files via USB
at significantly better than realtime and generate MP3s from the
decompressed output. Given how cheap a couple 100 GB drive are is it
seems like a nobrainer to keep redundant archives on harddrive at full
fidelity (and possibly backups on DVD) if you're going to the trouble
to rip them... who knows when you'll want to do a project with higher
quality versions?

 aaaaa

--

  quietamerican.org