Re: [gear] Zoom H4 comments

Subject: Re: [gear] Zoom H4 comments
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Sat Mar 3, 2007 2:58 am ((PST))
I share his criticism about the H4 handling and menus. External
batteries must be used, also after up-grading the firmware. Like him,
I find it very troublesome that the channels are not linked.
It does not have a 3,5 mm plug in power input.
I have not observed the tilted frequency response, neither it's
clipping characteristics.

But my H4 sample is not at all noisy. I have tried it with balanced
mic's and phantom power and also removed the internal mic's and
turned them into 3,5 mm PIP inputs. Both works fine.
I don't know if it is as good as HiMD, but it is clearly less noisy
than both my R.09 and MT24/96.
When 14 db(A) mic's are connected, it is the mic self-noise you hear.

According to my tests, the H4 is the only cheap recorder which does
not need a preamp. On the other hand it needs an extra battery pack.
If I had balanced mic's,  I would choose the H4 for back-up.
If I had plug in power mic's, I would choose Edirol R.09 with Sound
Professionals SP-11.
It costs only 160 US dollars and can also run headphones, at least
high impedance ones.

Klas.

At 22:19 2007-03-02, you wrote:
>Leonard Lombardo of Sonic Studios recently posted some comments about
>the Zoom H4 recorder in the Tapers Section forums.  His remarks are
>very critical, to the point that he can't recommend this model.  Read
>Leonard's comments here:
>
>http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=3D80471.0
>
>Free registration may be required to view these pages.
>
>--oryoki
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."