Re: MKH 30 and MKH 40 shock mount rig for MS

Subject: Re: MKH 30 and MKH 40 shock mount rig for MS
From: "wtefftus" wtefftus
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:17 pm ((PST))
While Walt Knapp has detailed his M-S rig very well (see:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/ms_setups.html), and
has been of great help to me, I hope the following notes may
summarize the available choices.

There are mainly two (off-the-shelf) ways to go with this:

Sennheiser MZS20-1 Shockmount
Sennheiser MZD30 Piggyback
Sennheiser MZW20-1 Windshield
Rycote Connbox CB3

Comments: much smaller package than Rycote, the windshields seem to
be a bit more rugged, the shockmount can be used with a wider variety
of mono mics, too. This is what I use, and I am satisfied.
Replacement parts are very easy to obtain from Sennheiser.

or,

Rycote Stereo Shockmount 040204
Rycote Clips 25Rd/25Rd-25Sq/25Sq
Rycote Windshield AE
Rycote Connbox CB3

This system is quite large. It looks like a small watermelon. I think
the shockmount configuration (more air space around the mics) may be
a bit quieter, particularly with such a heavy set of mics.
Replacement parts can be obtained from Rycote,  through their dealer
network.

Both systems can use the Rycote Connbox system. This provides much
better isolation from cable-borne noise. However, the Sennheiser
shockmount must be drilled to fit the Connbox, but once done it works
fine.

Hope this helps.

Bill
--- In  "pueo9" <>